Dissapointment by the turn of events.
How do I make a change of career path? This is the toughest question I have today.
I have a Science background in degree, and 180 degree change to arts or humanities, can be seen surprising or less of the norms in the Asian society. If I am in America, changing major or a career path is not uncommon in the community of individuality and self-interest.
I am bringing this topic to an intention because , if there is someone out there who are reading this, I like to get a sense check that I am not gambling my path simply. My reflection , after writing this entry, can be narrow minded. Having someone here, will be a great soundboard.
Let me give you a little context as to what actually brings me to this junction or crossroad of life.
After I have spent three glorious days working in TFM (current company where I work), the entry of new manager changes the structure around. Implementing performance scorecard and leadership framework, each staff was evaluatud for his or her strengths and weaknesses. The model of improving staff for all rounded competencies, spin all staff off their personal leadership goals and achievement. This, of course, involves me who had just recently being reviewed for current progress of performance.
Going past this arrangement for the first time, I am utterly bitter by the course of action which took place for the past 6 months. It is never sweet to be working under change of management. Having experience structural changes in past job experience, I already predicted a similar outcome of my journey in this non-profit organization. Despite having the passion to meet the mission of the company, I was perceived impressive growth of competencies but still deem not up to the desired standard if given the opportunity to work on it for another year.
Both my manager and I had mutually agreed that necessary action should be taken for my personal exploration of options outside the organization. I was promised the support,if needed, which would lead to the success of job transition. This conversation was the existent of bitterness. Loyalty is not a value a company seek nowadays. No matter how great my drive to contribute in this company, I had to resolve my sense of reluctance with writing a resignation letter - a week after our meeting.
You see, I have hard time digesting this turn of event. If not for Christmas break, this entry might not even be written and sense of dissapointment would have continue to haunt the every corner of my heart.
Teach for Malaysia may not be the mark of my 5 years employment (once a wish) but surely, I believed that greater things will come . I have no one to turn to for reassurance (try not to tell anyone about this change until I secure a job) but I am reminded that my service to the community is never a waste of time. I will continue to love the students whom I had impacted the past 3 years - an experience which the organization successfully provided the platform for me, to gain so.
Back on the topic of changing career path. I really have to revisit this with a proper reflection. I guess I can start by asking myself:
If you have one day left, what will you do?
If you have a month left, what will you do?
If you have the whole time to yourself, there is no restriction, what will you do?
I shall come back again once I figure the answers out for these questions.
To my audience, there is no reflection for temperature check. Thank you for reading.
I have a Science background in degree, and 180 degree change to arts or humanities, can be seen surprising or less of the norms in the Asian society. If I am in America, changing major or a career path is not uncommon in the community of individuality and self-interest.
I am bringing this topic to an intention because , if there is someone out there who are reading this, I like to get a sense check that I am not gambling my path simply. My reflection , after writing this entry, can be narrow minded. Having someone here, will be a great soundboard.
Let me give you a little context as to what actually brings me to this junction or crossroad of life.
After I have spent three glorious days working in TFM (current company where I work), the entry of new manager changes the structure around. Implementing performance scorecard and leadership framework, each staff was evaluatud for his or her strengths and weaknesses. The model of improving staff for all rounded competencies, spin all staff off their personal leadership goals and achievement. This, of course, involves me who had just recently being reviewed for current progress of performance.
Going past this arrangement for the first time, I am utterly bitter by the course of action which took place for the past 6 months. It is never sweet to be working under change of management. Having experience structural changes in past job experience, I already predicted a similar outcome of my journey in this non-profit organization. Despite having the passion to meet the mission of the company, I was perceived impressive growth of competencies but still deem not up to the desired standard if given the opportunity to work on it for another year.
Both my manager and I had mutually agreed that necessary action should be taken for my personal exploration of options outside the organization. I was promised the support,if needed, which would lead to the success of job transition. This conversation was the existent of bitterness. Loyalty is not a value a company seek nowadays. No matter how great my drive to contribute in this company, I had to resolve my sense of reluctance with writing a resignation letter - a week after our meeting.
You see, I have hard time digesting this turn of event. If not for Christmas break, this entry might not even be written and sense of dissapointment would have continue to haunt the every corner of my heart.
Teach for Malaysia may not be the mark of my 5 years employment (once a wish) but surely, I believed that greater things will come . I have no one to turn to for reassurance (try not to tell anyone about this change until I secure a job) but I am reminded that my service to the community is never a waste of time. I will continue to love the students whom I had impacted the past 3 years - an experience which the organization successfully provided the platform for me, to gain so.
Back on the topic of changing career path. I really have to revisit this with a proper reflection. I guess I can start by asking myself:
If you have one day left, what will you do?
If you have a month left, what will you do?
If you have the whole time to yourself, there is no restriction, what will you do?
I shall come back again once I figure the answers out for these questions.
To my audience, there is no reflection for temperature check. Thank you for reading.
Comments
Post a Comment