My INFP personality as a teacher
I was just curious about what other says in the topic of personality. I am a INFP. Before I venture into one-to-one tutoring, I was a classroom teacher. I always wonder why teaching in front of a big group (up to 40 students) was stressful for me. Later on, my sister introduced me to take a career survey called Career Direct. There then, it made me understand how I could play by my strength and that was how I ended up as a tutor. It is not just any tutor but one that teaches foreigners.
Here are some points which I like about when researching the Internet about this topic. They truly explained my thought process when I was in secondary school.
1) Generally introverts are better at formal interaction with groups than they are with informal interaction, so can seem more extroverted or confident in a classroom setting where the roles are clearly defined and the students generally recognize your authority, and where you have already planned what you're going to say. Smaller classes are probably going to be more comfortable though.
2) INFPs tend to not have a very commanding presence, so it seems likely they'd either do better with younger children who will be more inclined to look at them as adults (even just because of size) or possibly with university students who are more likely to be there to learn and less likely to be unruly. Especially if your own level of learning is very high, it will command a little more respect.
3) INFPs tend to be very perceptive about others and can really understand what individual students need, they're likely to have a heart for the shy, slow, or troubled kids and naturally want to give the individual attention needed to help them. Tutoring can be a good option.
4) They're also good at coming up with unique ideas for lessons which will engage the students. If they personally love the subject, their passion will show and can be contageous
5) I think INFPs teaching style is definitely individualized and they may have a lot of frustration with systems that require them to be more 'one size fits all'. All the constraints of rules, curriculum, etc. can end up feeling like it's holding back their potential, stifling their creativity in the classroom. Scheduals also can be a very irritating thing to have to conform to. These kind of things may cause school authorities to think you're not a good teacher, even if they have very little to do with how well you are actually teaching.
Here are some points which I like about when researching the Internet about this topic. They truly explained my thought process when I was in secondary school.
1) Generally introverts are better at formal interaction with groups than they are with informal interaction, so can seem more extroverted or confident in a classroom setting where the roles are clearly defined and the students generally recognize your authority, and where you have already planned what you're going to say. Smaller classes are probably going to be more comfortable though.
2) INFPs tend to not have a very commanding presence, so it seems likely they'd either do better with younger children who will be more inclined to look at them as adults (even just because of size) or possibly with university students who are more likely to be there to learn and less likely to be unruly. Especially if your own level of learning is very high, it will command a little more respect.
3) INFPs tend to be very perceptive about others and can really understand what individual students need, they're likely to have a heart for the shy, slow, or troubled kids and naturally want to give the individual attention needed to help them. Tutoring can be a good option.
4) They're also good at coming up with unique ideas for lessons which will engage the students. If they personally love the subject, their passion will show and can be contageous
5) I think INFPs teaching style is definitely individualized and they may have a lot of frustration with systems that require them to be more 'one size fits all'. All the constraints of rules, curriculum, etc. can end up feeling like it's holding back their potential, stifling their creativity in the classroom. Scheduals also can be a very irritating thing to have to conform to. These kind of things may cause school authorities to think you're not a good teacher, even if they have very little to do with how well you are actually teaching.
Comments
Post a Comment